Welcome to Ariadne's Forest Glossary
Glossary: F is for ... family, food chain, forestry
by Ariadne Unst
Glossary of F...
Forest and Tree Home,
- A taxonomic category ranking below an order and above a
- For plants, family names end in "-aceae", added to the stem of a prominent
within the family.
- For animals, family names end in "-idae".
- A small cluster or bundle (one of the common leaf arrangements).
- The capacity to produce or propagate abundantly.
- A group of about 11,000 species of vascular seedless plants
in the division Pterophyta. About 75% of the
fern species are found in the tropics.
- A bog with springs as a water source other than precipitation.
- A fine thread; in a
the stalk supporting the
- The health of a species measured in terms of
physiology and future reproductive success.
- A specialized shoot containing a short stem with four kinds of part,
derived from highly specialized leaves:
calyx; corolla; androecium;
- Produced by stream action.
- Bearing leaves.
- follicle (n.)
- A dry fruit, usually many-seeded.
Opens only along one side as in milkweed.
- food chain
- The passage of energy (in the form of food) from producers to the
organisms that feed upon them. The number of links in a food chain varies
(from producer to top predator), but seldom exceeds five. Most communities
contain food webs, i.e., food chains that are interlinked.
- Trees are producers. Their seeds, fallen leaves, live leaves, bark, and so
on are consumed by insects and animals.
- A non-grass grasslike herbaceous plant.
- An ecosystem dominated by trees. Examples of forest
biomes are: boreal forest; tropical savanna; deciduous
- The science of caring for the
- Geologically preserved remains of an organism that lived in the past.
- fossil fuel
- Burnable chemicals that are the resulting remains of prehistoric animals
Carbon based remains of organic matter
geologically transformed into coal , oil, and natural
- A fern leaf.
- frost ring
- A zone of injured cambium tissue caused by frost.
- fundamental niche
- The total range of environmental conditions
suitable for the existence of a species, without effects of
interspecific competition and predation.
Forest and Tree Home,